Goals for BLC 26
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
I realized that I'm still struggling with a lot of the same things I was dealing with last round as far as goals.... too much stress, too tired, and still figuring out this life after grad school thing since I basically graduated and then moving took over. It's been just one thing after another and being split between two residences while buying a house has us both... of balance. Simple things like keeping healthy food and my normal workout routines are suddenly huge and overwhelming challenges.
So my goals need to be flexible because things are really up in the air right now--the challenges this week may be totally different from next week, which are probably different from the week after that. I may have options available to me in one location that are not available in another. And I'm just... overwhelmed and really, really tired. So my goals are modest and subject to change.
The big picture goals:
1) SLEEP. While not quite so desperately, I still really need sleep and it's something I've been struggling with--especially since the end of July, when we really seriously started house hunting. Part of it was the house, part of it was sleeping on an air mattress really messed with me (we have a real bed in both apartments now), and part of it was sleeping in an unfamiliar place. But I need sleep. I do best right now with a good, solid 9 hours of sleep, but that's hard sometimes to get. But if I don't get enough sleep, I don't handle the rest of the stuff I need to deal with very well.
2) I really need to find a way to get work done again... I mean anthropology. Specifically, this round I need to get out a book proposal, get some articles submitted or publication, and put together a paper presentation for a conference. And right now I don't even have a space to get work done, let alone time. So this needs to be fixed somehow.
3) I need to cut back on the pop (and caffeine) again. I had mostly cut back after I graduated... but the pop crept back in at Pennsic and the caffeine crept back in because I'm chronically so tired. I know part of the reason I'm struggling is because it's not as easy at the moment to make my tea properly (I only have 1 good tea kettle--the kind that heats the water to specific temperatures suited to different kinds of tea, for example) and I don't have the space to make it in. Pop is so much easier... but I need to stop drinking so much of it.
4) I need to figure out a new exercise routine and follow it. I've never been a fan of regimented programs--they don't work for me. But right now I don't have space to workout at home, at all--the one apartment is much too small (and the floor is currently filled with boxes, bags, and a pavilion), the other apartment is full of boxes every where because we never fully unpacked.... it's a nightmare. I don't have regular access to my normal walking routes and to my fitness center... so I need to figure out something. Sadly, I've been trying to come up with a really workable solution for a month now and still am stuck. Once we get the house it will be easier... but we won't be fully moved in until the end of November and I don't want to wait that long.
5) RELAX. I really need to learn how to relax. I need to shed some stress. Right now it means remembering to take some me time, remembering to exercise, and maybe mixing meditation back into the mix. I may try different things. I just know that I really, really need to reduce the stress. It's better than it was before I graduated, but I'm still much too stressed and I've been under stress for so long that 1) I think I've been dealing with adrenaline fatigue for... years really now. Utter adrenaline burnout. 2) I literally don't know how to relax. Even when I'm doing something relaxing--taking a bath, reading a book, hanging with friends, I'm still... tense. Have an underlying stress/worry. I think too much. My muscles are too tense. I need to learn how to relax.
6) I need to eat regularly. This is more important than ever because the disrupted lifestyle has really messed with my meal patterns and it's not good for me... I'm getting more headaches, blood sugar crashes, etc. than I have in years because I'm forgetting to eat on a regular basis. Sometimes I don't eat because I don't have food and no way to get it. This needs to be fixed.
My SMART goals:
1) SLEEP. Get at least 8 hours of sleep (not necessarily how much sleep the fitbit says I got since it reads me as "awake" every time I roll over, but the time from when I go to bed with the intent of sleeping to the time I wake up) 5 days a week.
2) CAFFEINE: Drink tea instead of a soft drink in the morning--and then stick to a non-caffeinated beverage after that for 5 days a week.
3) Work at least 2 days a week on anthropology stuff (more is good, but I know some weeks coming up more won't always be an option).
4) EXERCISE: Get at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, plus resume fencing again, hopefully at least once a week though I will have to miss fencing this week (was out of town when practice happened). Figure out some exercise options--plans and back up plans--so that I'm not stuck wanting to workout but no idea of how to make it work.
5) RELAX: Make sure that I get some downtime every day, at least 15 minutes. Reading, journaling, video games, tea with friends, crafting... whatever, just something that helps me decompress physically and mentally. Try meditating again a couple of days a week, either sitting meditations or moving meditations (prefer moving ones).
7) WEIGHT LOSS: 1/2 pound a week, so 6 lbs for the challenge.