An Italian Favorite gets a Below-the-Border Twist.
Tex Mex Calzones
Minutes to Prepare: 30
Minutes to Cook: 15
Number of Servings: 4
1 pound ground turkey, extra lean
1/2 c onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 t ground cumin
1 1/2 t dark chili powder
1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped fine
3/4 c salsa verde, fire roasted
1 (11 oz) can pizza dough, refrigerated, thin crust (use whole wheat if you can find it)
1 c Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1 egg white, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Adjust oven rack to upper third of the oven.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
4. Add ground turkey and cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble.
5. Add onion and garlic; continue to cook 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
6. Add spices and cook for 1 minute to bring out the flavors in the spices.
7. Add chopped pepper; continue to cook 1 minute.
8. Remove mixture from heat and stir in salsa.
9. Unroll dough and divide into 4 equal portions.
10. Working with one rectangle, 1/2 cup turkey mix on half the dough, top with 2 tbsp cheese.
11. Using a pastry brush or fingers, brush the egg mixture on the border of the dough.
12. Fold dough over turkey mix and press with a fork to seal.
13. If you prefer a crisp crust, brush some additional egg wash over the top of the calzone.
14. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
For us Low-Carbers….
Place 1/2 cup of turkey mix into an oven safe ramekin dish.
Top with cheese and a quarter size portion of the dough.
Bake 10 minutes.
Your Spark Neighbor, Dolly