April 16 - October 15, 2020
What an amazing six months it has been!
It started with Day One: log onto SparkPeople, track everything I eat, and walk 10,000 steps daily. Sounds simple enough, and it was. Results: 59 pounds lost, BMI from obese to normal, and clothing size adjustment from XL (18) to Medium (12). It was like magic!
So, why did this not work in 2009 when I joined SP? Or in 2013 when I tried again? I was missing a few important things:
1. Daily willpower.
2. Consistent tracking.
5. SP team involvement.
Secrets to my success:
1. I wanted success more than snacks, treats, wine, chocolate, etc.
2. A little morning hunger meant my body was using stored energy (body fat) - and I realized I wouldn’t die because of a little hunger pang! (Thank you, Dr. Jason Fung!)
3. A binder for record keeping - weight, nutrition, calories, intermittent fasting times, and exercise. Those blank pages are now full pages - evidence of my journey.
4. The 5% summer and fall challenges. A little competition and accountability were good for me.
5. Measure and track everything! I can eat only a half cup of ice cream, or 20 grams of chocolate, because my self-control and changed mindset has me in complete control over what passes my lips. Have a taste, but just say no to eating it all, as your daily quota must be adhered to. I started with the 1200-1500 calorie goal, and stuck to it, seriously! I would fill up with water if I was really needing something in my stomach, or go for a walk to kill time and meet my exercise goal before my eating window was open. (Read: Delay, Don’t Deny - Jin Stephens).
Keep tracking! I never want that weight, or those clothes, back! Today, I wore a skirt with a tucked in blouse and a belt! Wow! My shirts have always hung out and over my stomach and big bottom. This was a pretty great feeling today. Even if I lose no more weight, I’m in a very happy place. Time to make some new goals!