"Your deepest struggle can, if you’re willing and open, produce your greatest strength." – Oprah Winfrey
The past year has been tough on everyone and for some of us, it is not getting any better. Unfortunately, we are missing the warning signs that our mental health is at risk. Physical symptoms may include headaches, stomachaches, changes in your eating habits, sleeping habits, activity level, lack of energy, and/or mood swings.
Here are some suggestions to help you start feeling better throughout this difficult time:
1) Pay attention to your basic physical health functions which includes adequate sleep, exercising daily and eating healthy foods.
2) Create your own strategies for managing stress. For example, writing in your journal, exercising, relaxation breathing techniques or mindfulness meditation.
3) Less worry and more doing. Instead of worrying constantly, take up a hobby or enroll in a class to keep your learning fresh.
4) Treat yourself with kindness and compassion.
5) Don't be afraid to reach out to family and friends for support.
Journal Prompts that may assist you:
• On a scale 1 – 10 my mental health is a ______ because ____________.
• What is happening in your mind right now? in your body? in your spirit?
• What does my vision for tomorrow look like? for 2021?
• What are the best choices I have made in life so far?
• What is one of life’s little pleasures that I appreciate?
• Write about an area of your life you need more support in right now.
• Write about a goal or area of your life you need to be more committed to.
• List some new healthy habits you’d like to adapt this year.