Reflections and new strategies
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Today, after reading Jane's blog I've decided to do the same... reflect, identify my weaknesses and see what I can do to refocus and achieve my goals!
What I am doing right:
* Exercise - I'm doing a variety of exercises, perhaps not enough strength training but I have surprised myself.
* Food - overall, not too bad. Most days I'm within my calorie range. I need to focus on balancing carbs/fat/protein though.
* Water intake - over the week I do well, weekends I struggle but usually make the 8 cups per day.
* Sleep - Not too bad, I always wake a lot because of my back and knee problems so am constantly changing positions but I'm probably getting enough sleep. Since I increased my exercise, I find I fall asleep in front of the TV earlier but I am also getting up at 5.30am on work days!
My naughty behaviours:
* Eating more than one skinny cow ice-cream per day/per sitting!
* Buying peanuts or other "healthy" treats and eating too much (all) at once.
* Thinking that "It's OK" to eat more.
* Thinking "It doesn't matter" when I chose unhealthy options when we eat out.
* Not being as diligent when we go away camping or other weekends away.
* Putting my writing off because "I'm too busy".
Really, they are mainly emotional eating problems. That is the root of my main problem!
What can I do to turn things around?
* Realistically I need to focus on the emotional eating side of things - no surprise there. This is where I am sabotaging my progress the most.
* Focus on the nutritional balance component. Try to reduce overall calories and DON'T BINGE EAT and DRINK on weekends.
* Reading more motivational stories from SP members and seeing how people have really turned things around for themselves.
* Making time for writing - watching less TV.
* Evaluate my workout program and ensure to include some strength training more than 2 times per week.
* Continue on the Spring Challenge Boot Camp and push myself as hard as I can.
* Find a picture of a great wedding outfit and put it where I can see it to focus my efforts on being the healthiest and slimmest I can before I go to Sydney in October.
I will also try to reflect more often. When I weigh in on Fridays, I will review how the week has gone, look at my fitness log, nutritional logs and see what is really working the best for me.
So, it's Sunday and tomorrow we have a public holiday in BC. I'm hoping the weather improves. We might have some friends coming over today with their kids for a BBQ although it might rain... when will this summer appear?!?!